First, Middle, Last or Lonely Only?

|
I have a confession to make: I would keep the 'Self Improvement' section at Barnes & Nobel in business if I had the money. It's definitely the section that I frequent most often. Personal growth has always been something that is very important to me. I am an ever-changing, ever-evolving person...which is both an exciting and frightening thought.

I remember talking about 'birth order' and how it effects our personality, communication styles, etc. in several of my Communication classes. The concept has fascinated me ever since. As I was perusing the 'Self Improvement' section tonight, skimming the rows of books claiming the keys to happiness and overcoming shyness, I saw a book that caught my eye: "The Birth Order Book: Why You are the Way You Are" by Dr. Kevin Leman. We talked about this book in several of my classes, but I never took the time to read it. The nerd inside of me jumped with excitement as I read the back cover: "Do you realize that of the first twenty-three astronauts in space, twenty-one were first borns and the other two were onlies?" Sure, it could be sheer coincidence, but I think there's some truth behind this theory. The book discusses how our birth order influences our personality, how we think about ourself and the world around as, and even what type of career we choose. With a coupon for 10% off of one item, I couldn't pass buying it up.

I am looking forward to a thought-provoking and entertaining read...full of "ahas" and "hahas." Expect updates to come.

Observation: Why the 'Self Improvement' section is ALWAYS right next to the area with all of the reading/study tables is beyond me. The person who decided that it would be a good idea to place books about overcoming shyness and self-consciousness directly in line with an area that's generally filled with people is a cruel, cruel individual.

0 comments: